Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Birth of Something New

I remember well the evening of March 26th, 1997. At about 10 o'clock that night our first child, Judah, was born. As I held him and looked at him I cried, overwhelmed by the goodness of God. Naomi and I were so excited, joy washed over us as we called family and friends to tell them the news. A flood of visitors joined in the celebration of his birth over the next few days as they came to our room at the hospital. It was an amazing time.

When I remember that spring I often think of those first few moments of Judah's life. However I also remember the day that we took him home for the first time. In preparation to be first time parents Naomi and I had taken child-birth classes, painted and designed an inviting nursery and she had read "What to Expect When You're Expecting." We had talked to other parents and yet just a few moments after bringing Judah home we both broke down. We had no idea how to care for him. We both wondered how they could've let us bring him home without further training. We were facing a dilemma - we had to do something that we had never done before. And while we had been prepared in some ways for the task at hand we were both very aware that this was going to demand more of each of us then we had ever anticipated - and that scared us.

As a community this is where we are! We have experienced the birth of something new. We have rejoiced at its arrival. Now it is time to embrace the responsibility of this new season. Just as Naomi and I felt overwhelmed and unqualified for the task at hand many of us now feel the same way. Those feelings of inadequacy seem to be justified, we don't seem to have access to the same resources that other history makers may have had. But just as David had all he needed in a sling and a few small stones, you now have all you need to conquer the giants in your life. Do not worry, do not be afraid, embrace this opportunity. Realize that Father is watching over you, He has invested a tremendous amount to bring you to this point and He will never leave you or forsake you!

So dig in, say goodbye to yesterday and move toward tomorrow with a commitment to find Father's creative plan for today. Don't be afraid of not having the right resources - You have all you need!

I wonder what you will become...

Embracing my own challenges, moving beyond my own fears and my own sense of inadequacy on the way,

Matt

No comments: